% women computer users

S. A. Modena samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Dec 9 23:56:04 EST 1992

In article <9212082107.AA14045 at teosinte.agron.missouri.edu.agron.missouri.edu> maryp at TEOSINTE.AGRON.MISSOURI.EDU (Mary Polacco) writes:

>unemployment (not including underemployment, also a major factor) are higher
>for women than for men in all fields surveyed, with one notable exception -
>computer sciences - So maybe if this network were directed at computer
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                             ^^^^^^^
>scientists it would have better representation of women discussants?
 ^^^^^^^^^^

I've been reading comp.lang.pascal for one year now.  There's reasonable
traffic: about 20-50 postings per day.  I've also noticed that the
posting with discernible female names is less-than 1%.

I browse the traffic in a couple of harware-oriented newsgroups:
discernible female names are generally not detectible.  And that is
where the traffic per-day can exceed 100 postings.

If Dave K. did a count up, probably he would find more *different* females
posting to this newsgroup than to the top-five bionet.* groups for
the same duration of time....(I know you read this Dave: want to count
them up for all groups?).

Perhaps the answer to the question of gender level of representation can be
found in the title of the newsgroup and the idea of self-segregation?  :^)

Steve
---