Getting women to use computers

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Dec 11 23:50:25 EST 1992

In article <1992Dec3.224639.19678 at news.columbia.edu> dan at cubmol.bio.columbia.edu (Daniel Zabetakis) writes:

>   One problem that often comes to mind is how to get more female biologists
>interested in computers and networks.
>   I believe that biologists in general have a slight aversion to computers.
>That has been my experience. I also think that women in general have a not
>so slight aversion to computers.

my foot!

actually, the guys are hacking around on the computer when they
should be doing some work. Usually they are playing. When it actually
comes down to using something functional like GCG they are more
clueless than the women.

 Putting those together, and you have a real >problem
for the net. >
>   It seems to me that the male students here are much more likely to have
>interst and experience in computers. The females don't seem to have any
>interest until they need to send e-mail to someone, or have a gene they
>want to analyse; and very often they get a male member of the lab to do it
>for them.
>
>   Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
>DanZ

If I didn't have a computer and modem at home I could be posting this
because I wouldn't have time. During the day I'm too busy making sure I
don't blow up the TLE unit. As far as knowing how to use a computer is
concerned - I have had to show lots of guys how to use simple stuff like
commercial software.

Annette
ah690549 at mbcr,bcm.tmc.edu