Women and Computers

Lora Frisch lora at popcbr.rockefeller.edu
Sat Dec 26 23:55:20 EST 1992

buzz at wccf.mit.edu says:
>   Why am I reading and writing to this network?  Well, I am interested and
> active in many areas of women's issues, and I must admit that I often prefer
> interactions over the computer because my comfort level around living,
> breathing, unpredictable other folks is not as great as I might like.  So I
> type away, responding and communicating in a forum that is (to me) interesting
> and also relatively nonthreatening.
>
>   Other women out there, why do you read and post?  Do any of you have ideas
> about how to increase female participation?
>
>   Buzz  (yes, I'm female.  names don't always give it away)

I would describe myself as buzz did in her first paragraph.  One thing I
have noticed about public women's discussion groups is that men
tend to clog the threads with their interests.  Notably abortion.
I read some of the biology discussion groups because I am a sys admin
working for the Center for Biomedical Research of The Population Council.
I used to subscribe to the Pascal discussion group but I got tired of
all the people asking others to do their Pascal programming homework.
I read all the Sun discussions because that relates to my work.
I read the chess news because I play chess.  I read the Microsoft
discussions because I have a home computer.  I subscribe to the
Visual Basic group.
I log onto several BBS in the NYC area for chitchat on computers,
movies, current events.  I try to participate in women's discussion
group on a BBS but as I indicated above the men tend to fill it with
their blabber.
lora at popcbr.rockefeller.edu
Unix Systems Administrator
The Population Council