Career Opportunities

Diane Stothard dstothar at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Sun Nov 1 22:31:02 EST 1992

Dear Fellow Women in Science:
     I am currently a graduate student facing the difficult question: Master's
or Ph.D? I would feel much better about making the decision if I could find
someone who would give me some GOOD advice based on experience "in the field."
I am a molecular geneticist and enjoy my research but I do not want to be 35 by
the time I get my first job, I do not want to publish or perish and I do not
want to spend 12 hours in lab everyday for the rest of my life. However, I have
an advisor that gives me a lot of freedom and leway to work on my project and I
enjoy the independence very much. Thus my predicament. I think I should get a
Master's for these reasons but I have been told that many jobs are available
for "research associates," people who have a Ph.D. but are not treated like
postdocs. Unfortunately, I have no female role models in my department that I
can discuss my dilemma with. Could someone (preferably many people in different
niches!) write to me and tell me what it's all about out there, after grad
school. I would appreciate some real life experiences and advice.

Thanks- Diane