children vs. science

amolina at cica.es amolina at cica.es
Mon Nov 2 04:50:27 EST 1992

	I think I understand the dilemma between having children or
spend almost the whole time at lab.
	I'm a man, and almost all the people having expressed their ideas
here seemed to be women, but the probles is the same for men (for sure I
assume men and women must share the same time in children care if both
work).

	But the problem is deeper than having or not having, or even WHEN.
It's a question of emotional peace. I mean scientists are faced to the
dilemma "publishing or perish" and leave aside a lot of very important
things. You'll find a high rate of single scientists, probably because
they didn't have much time to stablish a stable partenership (you know
sabbatics, postdocs, conferences, and 12 hours at lab from 20 to 35,
before a little of relax, if any).

	The problem of children is just a part of a larger one. We should
be able to take things easy I'm 25 an
be able of taking things easy. I'm 25, and children will have to await
for my disertation, my posdoc and a place to work, I know, and this is
logic (I think), what I'm afraid of is if after those things my mind
will have been accomodated to 12 hours at lab.

	Maybe we should stop and smell the roses ...

		Antonio
			From the sunny Spain.