Career Opportunities

Paul Barton-Davis pauld at cs.washington.edu
Tue Nov 3 13:38:38 EST 1992

In article <9211030426.AA02346 at darwin.bu.edu> clsmith at DARWIN.BU.EDU (Cassandra Smith) writes:
>I think you should view Ph. D. training as an
>opportunity to learn the theory and practice of science to help you to
>think independently.

Its not directly relevant to the charter of this group, but I feel
compelled to point out that it wasn't a particularly long time ago
that the criteria for awarding a Ph.D. were a "substantial and novel"
contribution to the field. Its hard to live up to this standard these
days, especially in biology, but maybe it wouldn't hurt if we were all
a little more idealistic :-)

-- paul

--
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a
little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider