Sexual harrassment

lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu lmk2 at garnet.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 26 19:57:37 EST 1992

In article <1ci36eINNrno at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu (Annette C. Hollmann) writes:
>I think that at the undergraduate and graduate levels, sexual harrassment
>is quite rare. If a professor has harrassed a student, the news will

I include in my definition of sexual harassment the type of treatment
that often comes with being a woman in a historically male field.  This
is the fact that there are many faculty members (mostly men) who believe
that women are not as smart or as capable as men and treat said women
with hostility or do not take them seriously.  This is common. Here at
Berkeley we older grad students try to warn new women students which
professors are guilty (or accused) of this, but this also has the
effect of creating femaleless labs (not uncommon) and closing off
interesting and fruitful areas of research to women.  The policy of
simply avoiding the annoying profs only works up to a point, if there
are enough of them or enough of the "really good" advisors (in terms
of interesting and potentially fruitful research) are condescending to
women, this effectively keeps women out of science, or out of a large
portion of it.  What can be done about this kind of harassment?

Leslie Kay