The question of children, and other concerns

Mary Polacco maryp at TEOSINTE.AGRON.MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Oct 27 12:04:39 EST 1992

Why is it considered impossible in male-dominanated fields for women
to combine career and family, but in female dominated fields, such
as nursing, it is perfectly OK to work "macho" hours and have a family, or
have flex hours/family, etc?

While it is certainly difficult, the presumption that one can't do this
is a MYTH. Consider that many female Nobel prize winners have families-
I've always been amused by colleagues disdain that I take time out for
my kid's medical, etc appointments, but that it is perfectly OK to
spend hours pumping iron, or other, ME-ME-ME pursuits that are not
career related.

-Mary Polacco