Priorities

Jill Helms jhelms at cns.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Oct 27 13:46:27 EST 1992

I've read the posts about the issue of when/if a woman should consider having
children with great interest.  One thing that really struck home that both Annette
and Dorothea mentioned was the amount of time they could devote to other activities
such as housework when their work schedules are so full.  Ain't it the TRUTH?!
Two years ago, my SO and I (we have a house) decided that there would be no more
arguments about who did the laundry last, who raked the yard, why didn't he ever
clean out the catbox and why I never scrubbed the toilet.  We now have a maid come
in once/wk and a man who takes care of the yard 2x/mo.  In addition, whatever the
maid doesn't launder, we bring into the dry cleaners.  Sure, this costs (but not
much, actually, here in Texas), but we give up other things.  This affords us the
opportunity to spend what little free time we have on activities we both enjoy,
and avoids the all-to-frequent confrontations that used to occur when one of us
felt we were shouldering most of the mundane responsibilities of home life.

I've another question for people in scientific fields who are academicians: do
you find that _everything_ grinds to a halt when you start to write a grant?  I
feel as if this is sacred time, when almost all responsibilities are suspended
and your maximum effort has to be focused on the writing of your proposal.  Is this
true for others, or do you find that you can spend 6-8 hours writing your grant,
then go home and forget about it?  Especially if you start far enough in advance?
I know for me it's NEVER like that. (Why else does Fed Ex do such roaring good
business Oct. 1, Feb 1 and June 1?!)  Just wondering if I'm alone out here...

Jill