Children

Barbara Byrne IAPROD573%A1%SSCCLU%MR at VAX003.STOCKTON.EDU
Mon Oct 26 13:07:20 EST 1992

First a brief personal history, and then a little perspective as Dean of Math
and Sciences.  My husband and I agreed we wanted to start a family relatively
early and planned a child to arrive just after I finished my PhD and before he
completed his.  I was pregnant when I defended my thesis and completed my
degree.  We lost that child through a very premature birth;  our son was born a
year later.  Meanwhile I took a temporary, part-time lab job but did not work
for six months after his birth.  I then returned to part-time teaching and
began teaching full-time when he was a year old.  We adopted our daughter a
year later and almost immediately went to post-doc positions for two years.  We
next accepted a single, shared-position teaching job at a small, liberal-arts
college for women and held that post for about 16 years.  We then moved into
two full-time jobs, my husband in research and me in administration.  During
the years we shared a job we were often successful in finding outside support
for our research--much easier then than now.

As a Dean I see a pattern of women waiting until after a tenure decision is
made before they start a family.  This has both advantages and disadvantages,
as does any pattern.  The decision is never easy because you have so many
factors to consider.  Of most importance is agreeing on what works for your own
family and finding the sources of support you need to make it successful.

Barbara J. Byrne
Dean of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Stockton State College
Pomona, NJ 08240
e-mail:  IAPROD at VAX003.stockton.edu