Emotions

rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 05:26:36 EST 1993

In article <MARDER.18.744302183 at agri.huji.ac.il>,
MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il (Jonathan B. Marder) writes:
[...]
>I don't quite agree.  Crying or expression of anger can be appropriate
>which is when it gets embarrasing both for the person expressing their
>emotions and for the recipient.  Ever spent several minutes yelling at the
>wrong person?

        Note my caveat - gross generalization :)

>   This said, there are also circumstances when the emotions can be used for
>manipulation.  I know that I occasionally feign indignation/anger to make a
>point and I suspect that there are circumstances when crying would work
>too.
        I was dealing with the case where manipulation was not being
considered - but point noted (in fact, someone noted it previously).

>  As for gender differences, in our society the stereotype is for men to
>get angry, women to cry.  However, a colleague who spent several months
>teaching in the Middle East remarked on how common it was for a male student
>to come into his office *crying* after failing an exam.

        "Tends to" was in my post - for obvious reasons.  But yes, I was
considering "Western" culture, it being the one with which I am most familiar.
Thanks for the reminder that there _are_ people with different cultural
backgrounds around , something that is easy to forget in this (ie netland)
situation, where names and addresses are not necessarily indicative of a
person's gender/background.

Richard P. Grant    <><                rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology   Fax. +44 865 275556
University of Oxford, UK.              Tel. +44 865 275565

			"People matter"