female scientists

H.F.J.Bligh at vme.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk H.F.J.Bligh at vme.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 04:54:04 EST 1993

I,ve been reading all this stuff about gender ratios etc. so heres my two pence
worth (I'm English!) . In my experience of people organising meetings and
inviting seminar speakers etc. I've noticed that what tends to happen is
that the mostly male organisers tend to invite people who are not only good
scientists but are also their friends. (Maybe they're afraid of asking people
they don't know-men are afraid of rejection too!)  However their friends are usually men that they theme
OOPS!
usually men that they themselves have met at other meetings. This then means
that the men who are invited to speak get a higher profile than the
equally good women who aren't and the whole thing carries on ad infinitum.
This would suggest that the way to correct for this bias is for meetings to
be organised by equal numbers of men and women. However until more women
are higher up the ladder I can't see this happening.
This leads me to make a suggestion for a positive use for this newsgroup
forgive me if this has been thought of and rejected before but I'm fairly
new to this group.
Suppose someone is going to a meeting and posts a notice to this effect on the
board. Then anyone else that is going to the same meeting  could contact them beforehand and
and maybe they could arrange to meet up.This might enable grad students
to meet possible female mentors in their field and certainly save all the
the time at meetings having!
This might also mean that in the long run- I'm talking decades here!-
enough women might know enough other women to start evening out the
gender bias.
I'd love to start the ball rolling but I'm not going to any meetings in the near future
future. OOPS I did it again! 8-)
Incidently I do find this newsgroup very valuable.
Cheers
Frankie Bligh