Dealing with the put-downs

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Fri Aug 6 17:50:15 EST 1993

I've taken my share of snide comments about "girls" instead of
"women" and "girl things" vs. "guy things" (and how I'm always
doing "guy things"...  Personally, I've found it useful to retain
a sense of humor in the situation...

For instance, one of the males in the university persisted in
calling female faculty members "girls".  A couple of women
tried lecturing, with no significant result.  I waited until
I heard "you girls" and responded with "Oh, thank you!  At 39,
it's been a long time since anyone thought I was a girl"...
he was so disconcerted he didn't know quite what to reply,
and the term hasn't been resurrected for a year or more.  For
any of us.  8-)

Well, it works better for me than "go soak your head"... your
mileage may vary.    ;-)

Kay Klier    Biology Dept    UNI