"level playfields"

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Fri Aug 6 17:38:55 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug5.234921.2099 at ohsu.edu>, nishir at ohsu.edu writes:
> In article <9308050335.AA17349 at east.gsfc.nasa.gov> igo at biovx2.DNET.NASA.GOV
> writes:
>>
>>... If I found out tomorrow that my GENDER was a *major*
>>consideration in the decision to accept me to grad school, with factors
>>such as research experience, grades in college and other *related*
>>factors being secondary to my gender, I would have a very difficult
>>decision.  I would think seriously about quitting grad school now.

> Yes, it's disheartening to know you were chosen just because of your gender,
> but I take the attitude that it's my duty to *enlighten* people with the idea
> that a competent scientist can be either gender...

I agree: "Affirmative Action" can be used as a cudgel against your
self-esteem if you let it.  But now that you're in the position to
*show* the rest of the world (or your segment of it) what you're
capable of, don't let it get to you.  Pull up your socks, do the
best job you know how, and ignore the wisecracks and the fools who
can't see beyond a stereotype.  It's the only way I can figure that
we're going to put this nonsense behind us.

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI