purpose of this group

Anne Savitt asavitt at ccmail.sunysb.edu
Mon Aug 9 12:00:37 EST 1993

I agree with Marian Freistadt - I would like to see a copy of the
statement of purpose for this group.

It seems that there is a lot of confusion as to what we, as women
scientists, want.  Do we want affirmative action programs?  Do we want to
see more women speakers at meetings?  Then why do we take offense when we
are asked because we are women?  Why do we even have a group directed
specifically for !women.in.bio!?  Why not just
!genderless.scientists.in.bio!?

rI think that part of the problem with seeing more women presenters at
meetings is that women in general are just not as visible as men (I know,
a gross generalization).  However, until the visibility issue is
resolved, meetings will continue to be dominated by men.  So I think that
we are creating a !Catch 22! situation when we say that we don!t want to
be asked because we are women, but we also don!t want to not be asked
because we are women.  I suspect that part of the problem is that the
more visible women are asked more frequently as the !token women!, a
burden they don!t necessarily want to bear.  So what should the rest of
us do to improve our visibility?

Anne Savitt
Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
SUNY Stony Brook