criteria for promotion

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Thu Aug 12 19:08:45 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug11.003230.14097 at ohsu.edu>, nishir at ohsu.edu writes:
> Should we give a "break" to people who have chosen to have families?  Should
> quality of output be emphasized to a greater extent for these than quantity?
> Should it be possible for to extend the evaluation time (time to
> tenure/promotion) if you've got a family?  What is fair?

Some desultory discussion has been occurring at UNI about "stopping the
tenure clock" for anyone (male or female) who is a primary caregiver...
and that includes those of us who take care of parents instead of kids.

Interesting (and potentially non-sexist) idea.  Hasn't gone anywhere yet.

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI