Is marriage a career advantage?

SIMMS at vmd.cso.uiuc.edu SIMMS at vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 17 09:56:58 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug13.131633.19990 at cbi.com>
dianne at cbi.com (Dianne Marsh) writes:

>In article <1993Aug12.201402.3810 at ncsu.edu> samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu (S. A. Modena) writes:
>>
>>Not just Science-at-Large, but "older" women in general.  My reference is a
>>poll on just this topic done by Newsweek (or was it Time)...and I disclaim
>>that it applies to the U.K.
>>
>>It said that there is an inverse relationship between a woman's age and her
>>first marriage....and specifically, a woman over 30 y.o. has close to ZERO
>>likelihood of marrying--ever.  Thus, if male companionship-marriage-style
>>is desirable, pay attention to the clock.
>>

>Just to set the record straight, this information was refuted at a later
>date.  It did not receive *nearly* as much attention as the original article.
>
>Dianne Marsh (dianne at cbi.com)

Just wanted to mention that there was an interesting discussion of this topic
in the book Backlash by Susan Faludi.  Seems that not only was the original
study incredibly flawed, Newsweek made up that comment about it being more
likely to get killed by a terrorist than get married if you're over thirty.
Anyway,  I would hope that most of the people reading here would have enough
statistical savvy to realize how stupid the conclusion that marriage over
thirty has a probability of zero.  If you know _at least_ one woman who

got married while older than thirty, then you have to come to the conclusion
that the study was flawed somehow.  I do happen to know women over
this "magic" age who got married, but I don't know _anyone_ who's been
killed by a terrorist.  I'm not sure if Steve actually believed this
"poll" he thought he heard about in Newsweek, but if he did perhaps
he ought to think about taking some statistics courses.  And note, that
the original discussion here was about the possible career advantages
of being married to someone who stays home and runs the house.  Steve
seems to have turned it around into"you'd better go get married now or
else."  I'm not sure why he's incapable of thoughtful discussion, but I
digress...
                           Laura Simms