kids and careers?

Kathie Hodge kh11 at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 25 17:19:29 EST 1993

For a few months now I've been reading this group with interest.  It
seems like a good place to ask a question that's been bugging me - when
to have kids?

It seems like there will never be time.  I'm 26 now, and have three or
four more years to go on my Ph.D. and then maybe a post-doc or two and if
I'm lucky enough to actually get a job when I'm done then I'll have to
work like crazy for five years to get tenure and wow!  I'd like to have a
family at the same time somehow without spontaneously combusting.

How do you do it?

Kathie Hodge
grad. student in mycology
Cornell University