Introductions...

Dorothea Kominos kominos at JKDEC.ROCKEFELLER.EDU
Mon Aug 30 13:40:24 EST 1993

Hi -

I have posted on this newsgroup a long time ago.  I am a 29 (about to
be 30) year old post-doc.  In response to Jenny Griffin's questions,
my husband and I both work in similar fields.  He's several years ahead
of me, however, as he completed his Ph.D. very early in his career.

We have no children yet.  I want to have children soon, but my job
prospects are a little bleak right now.  I am currently working at
Rockefeller University in NYC and have to commute into the city every
day from our home in NJ.  This is quite a trip.  I can not see
having children at this point in my career.

I'm also worried that once I obtain a position (whether in industry or
academia), having children may be frowned upon in the first few years.
So, I keep putting it off.

In retrospect, I really wish I had children in graduate school.  Several
of my friends had their children in graduate school.  They were able to
find cheap childcare (in graduate student's wives who were staying home
with the kids) and they don't have to worry about it further along in
their careers (as I do now).

Most of all, having children is a personal decision.  I really feel
that when I really want children, career considerations will no longer
come into play.

I hope this helps.

Dorothea Kominos
kominos at jkdec.rockefeller.edu