Do women do science differently than men?

Paul Barton-Davis pauld at cs.washington.edu
Fri Feb 5 13:27:45 EST 1993

In article <1ku5m1INNp88 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu (Sarah Pallas) writes:
>In article <1993Jan26.185017.7275 at netcom.com> barinaga at netcom.com (Marcia Barinaga) writes:
>>Do women approach science differently than men?
   [ ... ]

>>I know about some scholars such as Evelyn Fox Keller who deal

The following was posted by the organizer of the FIST mailing list. Enjoy.

-- paul

	 WOMEN AND SCIENCE: ISSUES AND RESOURCES

	      Part I: A Selective Reading List

 This bibliography emphasizes books and special journal issues
 that present a feminist critique of scientific theory and
 practice in the past and present.  Wherever possible, the
 contents of special issues and anthologies are listed.  The
 bibliography also cites some key journal articles, several
 representative biographies, and other works about the lives and
 status of women scientists.  Omitted are occupational guidance
 materials and curricula for the K-12 classroom.  For further
 research guidance, consult the reference sources highlighted in
Part II.

 Abir-Am, Penina G., and Dorinda Outram, eds.  UNEASY CAREERS AND
 INTIMATE LIVES: WOMEN IN SCIENCE, 1787-1979.  New Brunswick:
 Rutgers University Press, 1987.         Contents: Before
 Objectivity: Wives, Patronage, and Cultural Reproduction in Early
 Nineteenth-Century French Science (Dorinda Outram); Botany in the
 Breakfast Room: Women and Early Nineteenth-Century British Plant
 Study (Ann B. Shteir); The Many Faces of Intimacy: Professional
 Options and Personal Choices Among Nineteenth- and
 Twentieth-Century Women Physicians (Regina M. Morantz-Sanchez);
 Field Work and Family: North American Women Ornithologists,
 1900-1950 (Marianne Gosztonyi Ainley); Nineteenth-Century
 American Women Botanists: Wives, Widows, and Work (Nancy G.
 Slack); Marital Collaboration: An Approach to Science (Marilyn
 Bailey Ogilvie); Maria Mitchell and the Advancement of Women in
 Science (Sally Gregory Kohlstedt); "Strangers to Each Other":
 Male and Female Relationships in the Life and Work of Clemence
 Royer (Joy Harvey); Career and Home Life in the 1880s: The
 Choices of Mathematician Sofia Kovalevskaia (Ann Hibner Koblitz);
 Marie Curie's "Anti-natural Path": Time Only for Science and
 Family (Helena M. Pycior); Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin: Astronomy in
 the Family (Peggy A. Kidwell); Synergy or Clash: Disciplinary and
 Marital Strategies in the Career of Mathematical Biologist
Dorothy Wrinch (Penina G. Abir-Am).

Ainley, Marianne Gosztonyi, ed.  DESPITE THE ODDS: ESSAYS ON
CANADIAN WOMEN AND SCIENCE.  Montreal: Vehicule Press, 1990.
Contents: Last in the Field? Canadian Women Natural Scientists,
1815-1965 (Marianne Gosztonyi Ainley); The Public Record: An
Analysis of Women's Contributions to Canadian Science and
Technology Before the First World War (Clara M. Chu & Bertrum H.
MacDonald); Carrie Derick (1862-1941) and the Chair of Botany at
McGill (Margaret Gillett); Women and Photography in Ontario,
1839-1929: A Case Study of the Interaction of Gender and
Technology (Diana Pedersen & Martha Phemister); The Ontario
Medical College for Women, 1883-1906: Lessons from Gender-
Separatism in Medical Education (Lykke de la Cour & Rose Sheinin);
Women in Ontario Pharmacy, 1867-1927 (E.W. Stieb, Gail C. Coulas &
Joyce A. Ferguson); Women in Advertising: The Role of Canadian
Women in the Promotion of Domestic Electrical Technology in the
Interwar Period (Dianne Dodd); Women Sociologists in Canada: The
Careers of Helen MacGill Hughes, Aileen Dansken Ross, and Jean
Robertson Burnet (Susan Hoecker-Drysdale); The Heart of the
Matter: Maude E. Abbott, M.D., 1869-1940 (Margaret Gillett);
Harriet Brooks, 1876-1933: Canada's First Woman Nuclear Physicist
(M.F. Rayner-Canham & G.W. Rayner-Canham); Alice Wilson, 1881-
1964: Explorer of the Earth Beneath Her Feet (Barbara
Meadowcroft); Isabella Preston, 1881-1964: An Explorer of the
Horticultural Frontier (Edwinna von Baeyer); Margaret Newton:
Distinguished Canadian Scientist (Ralph H. Estey); Cypra Cecilia
Krieger and the Human Side of Mathematics (Kailash K. Anand);
Getting a Job Done and Doing It Well: Dr. Blossom Wigdor,
Psychologist and Gerontologist (Janice Beaveridge); On Being a
Woman and Studying Math (Louise LaFortune); Adolescent Females and
Computers: Real and Perceived Barriers (Betty Collis); The Career
Goals of Female Science Students in Canada (N. Nevitte, R. Gibbins
& P.W. Codding); Women Inventors in Canada: Research and
Intervention (Rachelle Sender Beauchamp & Susan A. McDaniel);
Disadvantagement of Women by the Ordinary Processes of Science:
The Case of Informal Collaborations (Joan Pinner Scott); Canadian
Women and Careers in Chemistry (Margaret-Ann Armour); Women in
Science--Are Conditions Improving? (Anne Innis Dagg); Feminist
Research into Genetic Hazards in the Workplace (Karen Messing);
Women and the Changing Faces of Science (Gillian Kranias);
Selected Bibliography.

 Alic, Margaret.  HYPATIA'S HERITAGE: A HISTORY OF WOMEN IN
 SCIENCE FROM ANTIQUITY TO THE LATE NINETEENTH CENTURY.  Boston:
Beacon Press, 1986.

Arditti, Rita, Pat Brennan, and Steve Cavrak, eds.  SCIENCE AND
LIBERATION. Boston: South End Press, 1980.

Arditti, Rita, Renate Duelli-Klein, and Shelly Minden, eds.
TEST-TUBE WOMEN: WHAT FUTURE FOR WOMANHOOD?  London: Pandora
Press, 1984.

Arianrhod, Robyn. "Physics and Mathematics, Reality and Language:
Dilemmas for Feminists." In THE KNOWLEDGE EXPLOSION: GENERATIONS
OF FEMINIST SCHOLARSHIP, pp. 41-53. Ed. by Cheris Kramarae and
Dale Spender. New York: Teachers College Press Athene Series,
1992.

Arnold, Lois Barber.  FOUR LIVES IN SCIENCE: WOMEN'S EDUCATION IN
THE NINETEENTH CENTURY.  New York: Schocken Books, 1984.
(Biographies of Maria Martin Bachman, Almira Hart Lincoln Phelps,
Louisa C. Allen Gregory, and Florence Bascom.)

Baldwin, Richard S.  THE FUNGUS FIGHTERS: TWO WOMEN SCIENTISTS AND
THEIR DISCOVERY.  Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1981.
(Biographies of Elizabeth Hazen and Rachel Brown.)

Barnes, Mary.  "Mathematics: A Barrier for Women?"  In CROSSING
BOUNDARIES: FEMINISMS AND THE CRITIQUE OF KNOWLEDGES, pp. 28-42.
Ed. by Barbara Caine, E.A. Grosz, and Marie de Lepervanche.
Sydney: Allen & Unwin, 1988.

Baum, Joan.  THE CALCULATING PASSION OF ADA BYRON.  Hamden, CT:
Archon Books/Shoe String Press, 1986.

Benderly, Beryl Lieff.  THE MYTH OF TWO MINDS: WHAT GENDERS MEANS
AND DOESN'T MEAN.  New York: Doubleday, 1987.

Benjamin, Marina, ed.  SCIENCE AND SENSIBILITY: GENDER AND
SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY.  Cambridge, MA: Basil Blackwell, 1991.

Berryman, Sue.  "Integrating the Sciences."  NEW PERSPECTIVES 17
(Winter 1985): 16-22.

Berryman, Sue E.  WHO WILL DO SCIENCE?  New York: Rockefeller
Foundation, 1983.

BIOLOGY AS DESTINY: SCIENTIFIC FACT OR SOCIAL BIAS?  Cambridge,
MA: Science for the People, 1984.

Birke, Lynda.  WOMEN, FEMINISM, AND BIOLOGY: THE FEMINIST
CHALLENGE.  New York: Methuen, 1986.

Birke, Lynda, and Gail Vines.  "Beyond Nature versus Nurture:
Process and Biology in the Development of Gender."  WOMEN'S
STUDIES INTERNATIONAL FORUM 10 (1987): 555-570.

Bleier, Ruth.  "The Cultural Price of Social Exclusion: Gender and
Science."  NWSA JOURNAL 1 (Autumn 1988): 7-19.

Bleier, Ruth.  "A Decade of Feminist Critiques in the Natural
Sciences."  Ed. by Judith Walzer Leavitt and Linda Gordon.  SIGNS
14 (Autumn 1988): 182-195.

Bleier, Ruth, ed.  FEMINIST APPROACHES TO SCIENCE.  Elmsford, NY:
Pergamon, 1986.         Contents: Science Seen Through a Feminist
Prism (Marion Namenwirth); Critiques of Modern Science: The
Relationship of Feminism to Other Radical Epistemologies
(Elizabeth Fee); Beyond Masculinist Realities: A Feminist
Epistemology for the Sciences (Hilary Rose); Primatology is
Politics by Other Means (Donna Haraway); Empathy, Polyandry, and
the Myth of the Coy Female (Sarah Blaffer Hrdy); Sex Differences
Research: Science or Belief? (Ruth Bleier); The Relationship
Between Women's Studies and Women in Science (Sue V. Rosser);
Taking Feminist Science to the Classroom: Where Do We Go From
Here? (Mariamne H. Whatley); Further Readings on Feminism and
Science [bibliography] (Susan E. Searing).

Bleier, Ruth.  "Science and Belief: A Polemic on Sex Differences
Research."  In THE IMPACT OF FEMINIST RESEARCH IN THE ACADEMY, pp.
111-130.  Ed. by Christine Farnham.  Bloomington: Indiana
University Press, 1987.

Bleier, Ruth.  SCIENCE AND GENDER: A CRITIQUE OF BIOLOGY AND ITS
THEORIES ON WOMEN.  New York: Pergamon, 1984.

Bleier, Ruth.  "Social and Political Bias in Science: An
Examination of Animal Studies and Their Generalizations to Human
Behavior and Evolution."  In GENES AND GENDER II, pp. 49-69.  Ed.
by Ruth Hubbard and Marian Lowe.  New York: Gordian Press, 1979.

Brighton Women and Science Group.  ALICE THROUGH THE MICROSCOPE:
THE POWER OF SCIENCE OVER WOMEN'S LIVES.  London: Virago, 1980.

Briscoe, Anne M., and Sheila M. Pfafflin.  "Expanding the Role of
Women in the Sciences."  ANNALS OF THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF
SCIENCES 323 (1979).

Brush, Stephen G. "Women in Science and Engineering." AMERICAN
SCIENTIST 79 (September/October 1991): 404-419.

Burfoot, Annette.  "Impediments to Feminist Acts in Science."
RESOURCES FOR FEMINIST RESEARCH 16 (December 1987): 25-26.

Byrne, Eileen M., ed.  WOMEN IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY IN
AUSTRALIA.  Philadelphia: Taylor & Francis, 1990.

Byrne, Eileen M. WOMEN IN SCIENCE: THE SNARK SYNDROME.  New York,
London: Falmer Press, 1991.

Carter, Ruth, and Gill Kirkup.  WOMEN IN ENGINEERING: A GOOD PLACE
TO BE?  London: Macmillan (distr. by New York University Press),
1990.

"A Celebration of Women in Science" (cover story). DISCOVER 12
(December 1991): 8, 10-33+.

	Contents: The Shape of Life [on Mimi Koehl] (Deborah
	Franklin); Intimate Enemies [on Flossie Wong-Staal]
	(Yvonne Baskin); Art for Science's Sake [on Donna Cox]
	(Tim Folger); The Forgotten Female [on Barbara Smuts]
	(Elisabeth Rosenthal); Star Spots [on Sallie Baliunas]
	(Sam Flamsteed); Flesh and Bone [on Adrienne Zihlman]
	(Ellen Ruppel Shell); Liberation Ecology [on Deborah
	Letourneau] (JoAnn C. Gutin); Striking a Nerve [on Avis
	Cohen] (Lori Oliwenstein); Wanted: Wayward Particles [on
	Helen Quinn] (Charles C. Mann); The