PhDs

"LAWSON" at JII.AFRC.AC.UK "LAWSON" at JII.AFRC.AC.UK
Wed Feb 17 09:33:00 EST 1993

I just wanted to thank everyone who has sent such thoughtful and encouraging messages
to me as a result of my despairing posting a few weeks ago.  I am now about to
submit, so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my examiners agree with all
of you!

I also wanted to add something to last weeks discussion about what we should discuss
on this network.  I don't think anyone should feel limited to only talking science.
Having been a member of the newsgroup since 2 weeks after its inception, I have
benefitted enormously from all the discussion on many issues which seem to worry a
lot of people - just think back to the flood of replies about children and careers.
Obviously, descending into trivia is not a good idea, but I think that discussion
about PC language does not fall into this category. It was obviously a subject on
which a lot of people felt very strongly, and one which affects many of us. But
again, talking science is obviously another exciting thing from which we could all
benefit.  So why not leave it open to what people need to discuss at a particular
point.

Emily Lawson, uk.ac.afrc.jii::lawson