Dual hires

Josh Hayes josh at cqs.washington.edu
Wed Jan 13 14:10:33 EST 1993

maryp at TEOSINTE.AGRON.MISSOURI.EDU (Mary Polacco) writes:

>I know of only one campus, Dartmouth, that has a formal policy
>encouraging hiring of QUALIFIED spouse to a tenure track, when
>initially only one position was advertised.
>Does anyone out there know of other instances where there
>is some formal policy?
>Mary

I have seen a number of advertisements this year - and do not
recall seeing them in previous years - in "The Chronicle of
Higher Education", where a number of schools in close proximity
advertise jointly, specifically aiming at academic couples. I
know this isn't the same thing as you ask about, but it's an
interesting development. The difficulties of married couples
in the sciences finding satisfying employment are legendary,
but this seems like a step in the right direction....

Josh Hayes

--
  Josh Hayes, Quantitative Sciences HR-20 U of Washington
  josh at mowgli.cqs.washington.edu             206 543-5004