pc language

udita at MV3600.BMEN.TULANE.EDU udita at MV3600.BMEN.TULANE.EDU
Tue Jan 26 14:34:42 EST 1993

I personally prefer using "they" and "their" even when referring to
people in the singular. Using "his/hers" or "s/he" is disconcerting and
interrupts the flow, or so it seems to me when I encounter such
constructions. I read somewhere that originally using "they" and "their"
was acceptable use to refer to people in the singular before these words
started being used only in their plural sense (I could be wrong). anyway,
it makes for better writing for me and that is what I use.
Udita Taneja