lack of posts

Diqui LaPenta diqui at lenti.med.umn.edu
Tue Jul 20 14:49:04 EST 1993

Those four little words ended a recent post (forgive me for not including the
be a good starting place for a discussion here.  Many of us women have the
unfortunate tendency to lessen the impact of our statements/ beliefs/opinions
with just such belittling comments (I'm as guilty as anyone else).

"I don't know if this is right, but..."
"I could be wrong, but..."
"I think that maybe..."

These are not statements that indicate confidence in one's own knowledge, and
I hear myself and too many female colleagues use them over and over. How can
we go about changing this, so that we feel more confident expressing ourselves
in groups? How can we be taken seriously, if we don't appear to take ourselves
seriously?  I don't expect that there is any one answer to this, but I'd be
interested in hearing what others have to say.

Diqui La Penta

diqui at lenti.med.umn.edu

--
?       diqui at lenti.med.umn.edu  |        "I got me some birds outside        ?