lack of posts

rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 02:22:33 EST 1993

In article <CAHB4A.5w3 at news.cis.umn.edu>, d
iqui at lenti.med.umn.edu (Diqui LaPenta) muses:
> Those four little words [just my own opinion... ] ended a recent post
[..]

> "I don't know if this is right, but..."
> "I could be wrong, but..."
> "I think that maybe..."
>
> These are not statements that indicate confidence in one's own knowledge, and
> I hear myself and too many female colleagues use them over and over.
[...]

	Provocative statement time.... ;-)
	Perhaps it's women who have got it right - you know, the humility to
accept that one can sometimes be wrong - whereas (we) men are (usually) far
too arrogant.   Wrong, me?  Don't be stupid.   See?

	BTW, the person who started me off as a real scientist (so I haven't
got my doctorate yet, give me time :) is female, and one of the scientists in
Oxford for whom I have the greatest amount of respect and time.

	My musings.

Richard P. Grant    <><                rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology   Fax. +44 865 275556
University of Oxford, UK.              Tel. +44 865 275565

"It's easy when you know how"