conduct/propositions

NEWEB2 at VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA NEWEB2 at VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA
Thu Jul 22 08:28:27 EST 1993

I have been attending meetings for 2 decades, and sympathize  entirely
with the unpleasant feelings generated by unthinking and predatory colleagues.
But why should one feel uncomfortable because someone else is a booru

In my experience, I always noticed that men were willing to talk to me
at length about social problems in their labs, universities and sometimes
personal life- and much less likely to talk about data.
I believe now that this reflects my own approach in that I generally
want to know something about people before talking to them on abstract
topics. When I finally realized that one could talk science with people
about whom one knew nothing, and further that most people do this without
thinking twice, I adopted that (male?) attitude- very good for my science
and no doubt more realistic. I think its a question of socialization. We
were trained to care about people and I still do- but I separate the
two domains more clearly now.

I also note that there is an enormous decline in sexual "humor" at
meetings and   thank my colleagues for this. I strongly urgfe an increased
vigilance by all, and a protest to organizers for every incident as I
notice a slight resurgence of putdowns of females.

Good luck.
EBNewman