women in meeting

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Wed Jul 28 19:46:41 EST 1993

In article <01H11TL7NK5E001ECR at uncvx1.oit.unc.edu>, ORSULIC at UNCVX1.OIT.UNC.EDU writes:
> I am also not very experienced, but I went to my first conference a few months
> ago. I was looking forward to learn and meet people, and maybe even make new
> friends. The first evening was a big disappointment - people were coming in
> groups, laughing, greeting each other, my professor was talking to other big
> guys, and I felt very lonely. If I were not so shy I could of made friends with
> other grad. students, but this way, I had to wait for other people to notice me
> and start a conversation.

Another good way to meet other people at meetings is to share rooms...
well, yes, they're perfect strangers, but often very nice perfect strangers.
One of the profs here always requests a shared room with international
roommates -- I'm going to try the same at the next big meeting I attend,
since she always comes back withfascinating stories and new research
contacts.

Kay Klier  Biology Dept  UNI