"Girl Science"

Pamela s vandervere pvander at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Jul 29 12:53:31 EST 1993

Hello everyone,

I have been following the conversation about the differences in the way women
approach things, how to handle yourself at meetings, ect. I have found it
very informative, especially since I am a female grad student about to start
the third year of my program. In reading some of the notices I was reminded
about how, when we were first year students, my classmates (an 80% female
class, I might proudly point out) and I used to joke about the difference
between "Girl Science" and "Guy Science". This stemmed from the tendency for
women in our department (both students and faculty) to lean more towards
genetics and molecular biology while the men tend to have more of an interest
in the "hard-core" biochemistry and structural biology. Of course, there are
many exceptions to this, but I still think it is interesting that we could
pick out a pattern.  I don't know if it stems form the old "boys are better
at math, etc., ect." idea and women just develop interests because of these
types of stereotypes. Any thoughts? I might point out that I always thought
that I was more interested in genetics, but my project has taken a decidedly
biochemical bent and I love it!

I also wanted to address a point brought up by Diane Hustead.  She wanted to
know if she should take her Masters and get a job or stay on to get a Ph.D.
I didn't really see any comments on this. It has special interest to me
because after several years in a cell biology Ph.D. program my fiance has
decided to take his Masters and get a job.  He is more interested in working
in industry, and as we have been reading, your marketability is much better
there with a Masters. I, on the other hand, will probably stay to get my
Ph.D., but often I worry what the job market/funding situations will be like
when I'm done.  Maybe this will start a new line of discussion!

ps-vandervere at uchicago.edu