female scientists

Sarah Pallas pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Jul 28 17:49:12 EST 1993

In article <9307281340.AA07213 at net.bio.net> tara at CHIMERA.HGEN.PITT.EDU (Tara Cox Matise) writes:
>I'm curious whether its just me - has anyone else noticed that many
>professional female scientists seem to be stand-offish?

Well, I'm a professional female scientist so maybe I'm biased, but I
have generally found the opposite.  At least with women with whom I've
had some connection, like common research interests, or similar life
circumstances.  They're more willing to help me network and give me
advice than most of the male scientists I've met.  One thing that may
contribute to what you've been experiencing is that often women are
just BUSIER than men.  They may have more child care responsibility,
and they're often asked to do committee work just because they're
women, and they want to have "the women's opinion" represented [By the
way, I really hate when I or other women are asked to somehow
represent all the women in the nation.  It's no different than asking
a black person to give "the black perspective".].  So maybe they're
just frazzled and you shouldn't take it personally.

To meet other women in science, you might be interested in joining
your local chapter of American Association of University Women, or
Association for Women in Science.  I've met lots of supportive souls
in AWIS.

Sarah Pallas
Baylor College of Med.