female scientists

Tara Cox Matise tara at CHIMERA.HGEN.PITT.EDU
Fri Jul 30 08:43:06 EST 1993

In repsonse to Kay Klier's query

> And a query:
> One experience almost all of the women in my department have had is
> advisees calling us at home... and none of the men seem to have
> experienced this.  Is this a common pattern?

I am a female post-doc who frequently called my male graduate advisor
at home during my graduate studies.  We had different time schedules
so this was often the best way to reach him.  I have, on fewer
occasions, also called my current advisor (also male) at home.  I have
never had a female advisor so I can't say whether the same situation
would have been OK with her?

Tara Matise