getting emotional

S. A. Modena samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 30 13:45:06 EST 1993

In article <16C1ADB26.RLR453S at vma.smsu.edu> RLR453S at vma.smsu.edu (Rachel Ruhlen) writes:
>I'm a beginning undergrad in bio (sophomore in college, actually).  Obviously I
> have a long way to go but I was wondering...when I have strong negative emotio
>ns (such as anger, guilt, embarrassment, and sadness) my response is to cry. ........

My experience is that women crying in the academic/scientific work place is
not as rare as it ought to be....and some (like me) regard it as
outright blackmail behavior.

	anger: indeed one might develop anger when one's principles are
		violated...or one's rights abridged...perhaps crying is a
		signal for some adult to fight your battles for you.

	guilt: not often, since I simply know my own ethic well and rarely
		act--or allow myself to be forced into acting--against it,
		NOT MATTER HOW MUCH IT COSTS ME

	embarrassment: if I do something wrong to a person and realize it,
		I apologize to the person...otherwise I disregard the
		notion of embarrassment when SOMEONE ELSE tried to use that
		shut me up.  :^)

	sadness: I'm sad that my Brother died too early of cancer, and I
		cry for the sadness of that loss...otherwise everything
		is considerably less sad and not likely to make me cry in a
		work or professional situation.

Steve   nmodena at unity.ncsu.edu