Unwanted advances & diction

JASON TAYLOR taylor at lheavx.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 30 16:25:00 EST 1993

In article <231pju$avi at hsdndev.harvard.edu>, tobin at rascal.med.harvard.edu writes...
>About unwanted advances from men who aren't so blunt that they try to drag
>you off by your hair: it's been my experience that women must be firm in
>telling men 'no', even if the advancee is very subtle. By being permissive
>you can later be accused of leading someone on, a nasty twist that many
>women have suffered. If someone is ogling, there is no need to make a scene,
>but a nasty look that would kill most small mammals is a good turnoff. If
>questioned about your expression say, "Well, I didn't like the way you
>were looking at me either," or something like that. If they sit too close,
>pointedly get up and move, and make sure it seems like an inconvenience. I
>know it sounds manipulative, but so is infringing upon someone's personal
>space, and you have the right to be left alone. If it doesn't stop after a
>few hit-em-over-the-head hints, then you have to say something, because a
>lot of men don't take anything other than a spoken 'no' for an answer...
>and some don't even listen to that.
>
>Deanna Tobin
>TOBIN at rascal.med.harvard.edu

	Yes, some guys are like that I guess. But one of the best reasons
for speaking up to guys who are getting too close is that if for some
reason there is ever a need for a sexual discrimination case, boldly saying
"no" is very important legally in order to win in court.

--Jason Taylor   taylor at rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov    Greenbelt, MD  USA