You piss me off!

Patricia Foster pfoster at bu.edu
Sat Jul 31 11:50:49 EST 1993

Una was complaining that women do not post to the
*other* bionet groups, which is quite true.  Thus women
scientist are making very little contribution to the
intellectual and scientific success of the Internet.
  I also agree with her that much of the posting in this
group, like the recent discussion of how to deal with
unwanted advances at meetings, is depressing.  Surely
most people learn how to handle such situations before
they get to graduate school.
  Which brings up the question of why this group exists.
I would have thought its function should be to discuss
issues like the one Una is raising -- why don't women
scientist participate more, not just on the net, but
also at meetings, in letters, and other public forums.
Una is right, most women scientists are wimps.  The
question is why, and what to do about it.

pat

Patricia L. Foster
Boston University School of Medicine
Boston, MA USA