summer programs for minorities?

CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV
Thu Mar 25 16:28:44 EST 1993

> Does anyone know of summer biology programs suitable for a high school
> junior with a strong interest in science? I am trying to create an
> opportunity for a young African-American woman who is desperately in need
> of a good role model. Her interest in biology is strong, she is very
> smart, but she just doesn't believe that "people like her" (her words,
> not mine) can be successful in science. Any thoughts or leads would be
> appreciated.
>

> Roger Wiegand
> rcwieg at ccmail.monsanto.com              *****************
> Monsanto Corp. Research, Mol. Biol.     *  Ignotum per  *
> 700 Chesterfield Parkway North          *    ignotius   *
> Chesterfield, MO 63198                  *****************
> (314)537-6854, FAX (314)537-6480

NIH has a program whereby supplemental funds can be provided to a
researcher who is willing to support a minority student.  This
would be an excellent opportunity for a minority summer student.
Given the close association between Monsanto and Washington
University this would seem to be a viable conduit.

The procedure would be for a researcher at a University like
Washington University who has a funded NIH grant to apply to the
NIH for a supplement.  The turn around time is fairly quick.  The
trick would be to find such an interested person among the many
at Washington University.

One way is to find all people with funded NIH grants at
Washington University.  This can be obtained from Dan Jacobson's
Gopher hole.  Another--perhaps easier approach-- would be to call
the person in charge of affirmitive action at Washington
University to see if that person can help you make a match.

Good Luck

Jim Cassatt