Mentoring & women in sci

chlamy at HERCULES.ACPUB.DUKE.EDU chlamy at HERCULES.ACPUB.DUKE.EDU
Thu May 6 17:43:26 EST 1993

>I wrote earlier today:

>>All of which suggests that yes, girls still need female role models, and the
>>net might be one way to connect budding scientists, but first they may need
>>to be brought into the electronic fold.

Jane Harper replied:

>This makes me wonder how many women scientists participated in the Ms. Foun-
>dation's 1st Annual take-Your-Daughters-To-Work day?
>
>Any stories?

Well, I did it with my 14-year-old, despite an edict from her principal
that it would not be considered an excused absence on the grounds that
there was nothing about it in the "rule book".  Unfortunately as my work
days go, it was something of a bummer.  I spent most of the morning glued
to the computer trying to finish a proposal for a supplement to my NSF
grant, followed by two trips to the administration building to get it
signed and then mailed (my daughter did come with me, at least).  I'm
afraid she concluded that mom's work is dull indeed.  Sometime during the
summer I intend to bring her again, when there's some hands-on lab work to
be done.  I did at least show her how I access information by computer -
she watched me read bionet news, and then we called up some recreational
newsgroups that interested her.

Elizabeth Harris
chlamy at acpub.duke.edu