Mentoring & women in sci

Sarah Pallas pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu
Thu May 6 14:13:18 EST 1993

In article <1s94ucINNl84 at dns1.NMSU.Edu> kdurack at dante.nmsu.edu (Katherine Durack) writes:
>  It seems to me that the net might me a
>great medium for connecting budding scientists (of all ages--k-12 on up),
>but that maybe some sort of clearinghouse (matching interested parties)
>might be warranted.

I think the importance of women mentors for new women scientists
cannot be overestimated.  It really helps to see that people that look
like you can be successful scientists, that people with children can
be successful scientists, etc. This is also true for people of color.

The Association for Women in Science has a mentoring program that
matches grad students and postdocs with older mentors, usually
faculty.  It is a fairly new program, but has already had some
success.  There are local chapters of AWIS all over the nation.  Call
the headquarters in Washington DC (sorry I don't have the # here today)
to get a phone number for your local chapter.

I have been matched as a mentor with a grad student, as well as the
informal mentoring I do as one of only a few women faculty available,
and it has been a rewarding experience for me, and I think for the
students as well.

Another valuable reason to join AWIS is that they regularly have
seminars on how to get jobs, how to write grants, etc.  Plus the
general networking and emotional support benefits.

Sarah Pallas