Mentoring & women in sci

Stephen Modena nmodena at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat May 8 16:28:42 EST 1993

In article <1se44f$14j at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> pallas at cephalo.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu (Sarah Pallas) writes:
>In article <1993May6.230050.17145 at ncsu.edu> samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu (S. A. Modena) writes:
>>......on a thousand
>>restarts of human-evolution, science and math would have been originated
>>and ramified overwhelmingly by MALES, though we know that females CAN be
>>capable to the highest degree....
>
>I completely disagree with this statement and I wonder if it was a
>serious statement or just meant to be provocative.  Science and math
>were co-originated by both genders, but we often don't hear about
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The known history is science could be interpreted both way...depending on
how much *political* overlay one wish to use.  The cotton gin was invented
by slaves but stolen by Whittey.....on the other hand the real McCoy is
just that.  :^)

If one female and 100 males make significant contributions to theoretical
partical physics, then one can say...CO-originated.

However, you should reread what I actually wrote.....

>female founders because due to societal pressures, they were
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Certainly cultural values play a part...I recall that first time in 1966
reading a book which I could paraphase the title being "Intellectual and
Cultural Contributions of Jews Through the Ages" and being "amazed" by the
litany by country/century....starting as I recall at the beginning of the
Common Era....and than as I grew to know more of Jewish history I began
wonder how this degree of intellectual and cultural flowering could
persist for so long in a dispersed, hounded, murdered people?

>discouraged from pursuing scientific careers, and they were often not

And one discovers from history ( as expressed in _The Pawnbroker_ and in
_The Merchant of Venice_ ) how soctietal strictures are the very forces that
lead both to self-doubt and to accomplishment ( as in the autobiography of a
certain 17th Century Venetian rabbi surnamed Modena ).

What I learned from the survivors of Treblinka is: when your own "people"
cherish knowledge of *you* and your *fate*, your accomplishments will be
remembered, cherished, revered and studied.....otherwise, you are a gain
of sand forgotten in the wind of Time.

>given credit for their work.  At least once a week, I hear of some
>amazing scientific discovery that was made by a woman decades ago,
>under great odds.

The story of human evolution is the story of the struggle against great
odds....but what is lacking in the feminist-lesbian rhetoric is
recognition of reality being multi-component.....and there is an intentional
avoidance of the "nature" part of human societal development....and it is
amusing to me to hear "biologists" discount genetics, inherited behavior,
and endocrinology.  What are all of the multiple outcomes possible and
practical from a combination of nature and nuture?  I haven't the wisdom
to know, but the exploration will be exciting I'm sure.

On the other hand, when I hear purely "dialect-materialistic" explanations
of who and what we are, I'm immediately reminded of the murderous purpose
of that kind of Stalinist talk.  :^)

>Sarah Pallas

BTW Sarah, I spoke of human evolution spanning surely several hundreds of
thousands of years (not the last few decades) and I expressed a "what-if"
mental simulation scenario to remind people that females AND
males have journeyed through time TOGETHER but definitely NOT ALIKE for
some fundamental reason(s) that are not all that clear to our modern day
sophisticated, and so politically anti-scientific minds.  :^)

Steve
---

Stephen A. Modena
nmodena at unity.ncsu.edu    samodena at csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu