Role models?

forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 8 05:45:57 EST 1993

In article <1993May7.144706.17209 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, DUNCKLEY at RESA.AFRC.AC.UK writes:
> After having just read the latest mail from this list, my blood pressure has
> gone up several bars! Are there any women out there who aren't hung up about
> having role models or not etc.? Some of us just want to get on with the science
> the same as our male colleagues! Does the fact that there aren't so many women in science really matter anyway?
> Looking forward to hearing from you!!!
>
> Rachel Dunckley, BSc.(Hons)
> Rothamsted Experimental Station, Harpenden, England.
>
> "Behind every successful women is a pile of dirty laundry!"

Rachel, I have a mixed reaction to this...I think mentors of either sex are
important for any young scientist, and a role model is someone whom you can
respect for their personal as well as professional achievements, regardless of
sex.  I dont think the need for mentoring and role models is specific to
women!  However many women feel more isolated and uncertain in a profession
where they are outnumbered because although it shouldnt make a difference
whether a scientist is male or female,in actual practise, it does.

I should add that I have never found a woman scientist to act as mentor or
role model.  My mentors have been senior male scientists, men whom I respect
personally and professionally, and I dont think I've lost out.

time to get on with the science,
susan

S L Forsburg	forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Biochemistry Dept