Role models?

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Wed May 12 11:06:20 EST 1993

amfmoore at bio1.acpub.duke.edu (Anne Moore) writes:
> I have been teaching at the university level for two years now
> and have been startled to find myself in the position of the mentor rather
> than the "mentee". ...

That's been my experience, too.  However, I find that most of the
people who inhabit my lab, herbarium, and office at all hours of
the day and night, have XX chromosomes.  Seems like they've been
waiting for someone to pay some serious attention to them.

> One man, insisted on calling me Miss Moore, rather than Dr. Moore, as was
> the customary title for professors at this school. ...

I had a grad student sharing my office when I came as a temp.  It was
a lot of fun to hear him answer the phone and say, "There's no Mrs.
Klier here.  Do you wish to speak to DR. Klier?"   Again, that was
generally enough to straighten the problem out.

Kay Klier   Biology Dept  UNI     klier at iscsvax.uni.edu