Options other than tenure-track

Diqui LaPenta diqui at pathogen.med.umn.edu
Fri May 14 11:59:03 EST 1993

I posted here several months ago regarding my total lack of motivation for
completing my Ph.D. in microbiology.  I received many helpful replies
(and I hope I responded to all of them), and, so far, I'm sticking it out.
I have, however, realized that I really am not suited for the lab bench
aspects of scientific study.  So, as I enter my final year of this
process of becoming a Ph.D., I am trying to find out what else I can do
besides post-doc then hunt for a tenure track position.  People in my
department are well-meaning, but have absolutely no experience outside the
academic community.  Hence, I don't know where to even begin to research my
options other than this wonderful network full of persons with varied interests.

So--does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can begin?  I am most
interested in creative approaches to science education.  I have contacted
a woman here (Minneapolis) who works at the Science Museum regarding
volunteer oppurtunities.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.  Post them here,
or mail them to me.

Thanks

Diqui

*diqui at lenti.med.umn.edu  * Redneckness has got to be a disease. (Ooh!)       * *                         * You catch it on your fingers, and it just crawls  *
*                         * right up your sleeves.              --Lyle Lovett *

?       diqui at lenti.med.umn.edu  |        "I got me some birds outside        ?
?                                |         what sit on my windowsill          ?
?     University of Minnesota    |         some birds won't, you know,        ?