Lovers in science

Una Smith smith-una at yale.edu
Sun May 23 19:01:38 EST 1993

>Right now in the UK there is much discussion of relationships between
>students and their lecturers, and is this a Bad Thing?
[...]

I agree that it's generally a very bad thing, and not just for the two
people involved, as I said in an earlier article in this thread.  But
you mention avoiding direct professional contact if a mutual attraction
develops:  what does that mean?  Should one of the parties (i.e., the
junior one) leave the field altogether, or just the department, or just
find someone else to serve on the committee, etc.  How far must it go?

>Is it perhaps indicative of a problem that a discussion of
>mentors took us into a discussion of sex?
[...]

Well, only Steve Modena can answer that.  He was apparently reading the
thread about mentors when he decided to write his article about lovers,
and he used the followup feature of his newsreader to generate the
template, changing the topic (but his newsreader preserved the previous
topic, a default feature).  Perhaps the change of topic is just that,
not related at all except by coincidence or the wandering of one mind.
I have removed the "(was:..." from the header of this article, and with
luck *my* newsreader won't insist on sticking it back on...

      Una Smith      Biology Department       smith-una at yale.edu
                     Yale University
                     New Haven, CT  06511