Lovers in science

Una Smith smith-una at yale.edu
Mon May 24 10:25:11 EST 1993

Susan Forsburg <forsburg at molbiol.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>...What I meant by avoiding direct professional contact was along
>the lines of avoiding the _obvious_ appearance of conflict of interest.
>Ie, stay in the same dept, but not in the same lab...

Avoid the appearance?  Meaning it should be kept secret (or discrete)?
Given that people in academic departments always seem to know an
astonishing amount about the personal lives of others there, it seems
both pointless and (often) destructive to keep up the pretense that
it's only business.

I'm all for discrete behavior, but how about a little more honesty?

I think it's very difficult for someone to be both a mentor and a lover,
since one's own personal interest in the student may tend in directions
that are not the best for the student.

      Una Smith      Biology Department       smith-una at yale.edu
                     Yale University
                     New Haven, CT  06511