Back to mentors

M. Jane Harper jharper at ITSA.UCSF.EDU
Thu May 27 16:34:38 EST 1993

In today's post, Tom Tucker says:
>If "we" are to reach our mutual nirvana, we must each play every role, hackles
>relaxed.
>
>That is:  if you can't _be_ the other side, we're nicked.

That touches the point of my post:  we _cannot_ play one another's roles.  We
are all placed in our gender by an accident of birth; but one gender happens
to be privileged in our society, and privilege cannot be _played_.  Just as
humans cannot possibly know what it is like to be a dolphin, so men and women
cannot exchange places in any fruitful kind of fashion.

Even if male privilege were to be somehow _assumed_ by a woman for the sake of
some discussion or other, it would always be in her consciousness that the
privilege was only _lent_ and not _hers_.  So I again eschew the validity of
the privileged class, whatever it is, pontificating to the oppressed class on
propriety of behavior.

J. Harper
jharper at itsa.ucsf.edu