Back to mentors

Thomas Allen Tucker mot at cco.caltech.edu
Thu May 27 00:35:52 EST 1993

pjc at waikato.ac.nz writes:

>In article <9305270429.AA18377 at itsa.ucsf.EDU>, jharper at ITSA.UCSF.EDU (M. Jane Harper) writes:
>> I know I'm probably speaking out of line, but does anybody besides me get
>> hackles up at the idea of someone with a Y chromosome lecturing us on how
>> to behave as women in academia?

>Not really; after all it's only got a few genes on it,
>and it probably hasn't stuffed his mind up too much.
>And if you don't listen to "the other side", I guess
>you can't learn so quickly.

At certain risk of offending:  I have for sure listened to overwhelmingly
much opinion from those with two X chromosomes about how males like myself
ought to behave in academia and everywhere else; I'd hope that the discourse
would at least be a heterogender dialog.  If "we" are to reach our mutual
nirvana, we must each play every role, hackles relaxed.

That is: if you can't _be_ the other side, we're nicked.

Respectfully,
Tom Tucker
 Thomas A. Tucker				  tomy at ee.washington.edu
 Interactive Systems Design Laboratory		       W: (206) 543-7298
 Electrical Engineering / Neuroscience		       H: (206) 547-1409