German "social status" is still offensive

Wade Hines hines at socrates.ucsf.edu
Tue Nov 2 20:16:55 EST 1993

peapud at aix02.ecs.rpi.edu (Diane Hope Peapus) writes:

>>>                                   [ ... ] Salaries will
>>> fall within the German BAT IIa - Ib groups (cca DM 70-80 000 per annum
>>> depending on experience and social status) [ ... ]
>>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>First I apologize for insulting some people without any intention.
>>In Germany the BAT system is quiet complicated, your salary depends
>>not only on your age but also on your marital status and how many
>>children you have etc. Unfortunately we chose the term "social status"
>>without knowing that people might misunderstand it.

>	Unfortunately, your explanation is no less offensive than some of
>the presumptions.  People's salaries should be determined based on what

I believe you forgot the IMHO (in my humble opinion). Or do you wish to
set the standard of offense for everyone?

>they do while they are in work.  What they do in their spare time is their
>own business and has no place in the salary calculation.  Who's the German
>BAT system to determine that it is more valid for a person to spend
>20K/year to keep a child than to spend 20K/year to build and keep a sail
>boat?  Thus rewarding the child barer with additional salary and punishing
>the sail boat builder with less?  The choice of the word "social status" is
>very appropriate based on your explanation of it's meaning, and the
>objection to the meaning stands even stronger than the objection to the
>choice of words.  It's easy to forgive people for choosing an inappropriate
>word in a translation.  But the objection here is conceptual and not
>translational.
>	It seems as though 4th Reich has become more subtle in their
>imposition of behavior modification on the masses than it's predecessors
>have been.  So subtle that Weiyun Chen feels obligated to defend it.

>	I would appeal to the moderator of these news groups to deny job
>posting privileges to the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), and other
>employers who determine salary based on social status.

I would appeal to you to keep your opinions to a personal level and not
inflict your will on the rest of us.

Which bible are you using that describes what may or may not be used in
salary calculations? Your incredibly mercinary stance is not consistant
with the social welfare standard favored by Germans - and established
via their elected government. Now, though your rightous opinions you
wish to say that they cannot have what they want for your knowledge of
some greater truth.

Give me a bucket.
--Wade