Mandated business expenses...

Karen Kroslowitz kroz at BISHOP.BISHOP.HAWAII.ORG
Wed Nov 3 16:06:43 EST 1993

Here I am, back again. Didi you all miss me? Seems I can't get away from
this net and all this mail. "Be careful what you ask for, it may come
true" seems appropriate.
So what's the scoop Cornelius? Are you asking how we feel about health
care, it's rising costs, the millions that Corning made over marketing
breast implants that weren't tested and now millions (maybe thousands but
still too many) of women are getting sick from, and what about Bill &
Hillary's plan and what it can do for us?
Here in the lovely state of Hawaii, employers are mandated to provide
health insurance to employees who work 20 or more hours. We pay only 1.5%
of our salaries into the plan, and I think it's great. We often have
options as to plan (Group, HMO) with benefits for dental, drug and vision
care as extras. The payments are also deducted from our checks pre-tax, so
Uncle Sam sees less and I take home more. Not bad huh? And you can still
choose your own doctor.
Personally I think the drug companies make way too much money off sick
people and I'd like to see more money being spent on AIDS research and
care of patients as well as money spent on cancers that afflict women.
It's still a crying shame that most health insurance sompanies don't pay
for annual pelvic exams nor can you get a mammogram unless you're over 40.
This age bracket thing has to go. I've actually had doctors discourage me
from getting tests when I had a sincere health concern, simply because my
insurance wouldn't cover it. Proof that we really don't have total control
over own bodies if someone else is saying "NO" when it comes to our
health.
Comments??

Karen J. Kroslowitz			phone: 808-848-4118
Natural Sciences, Malacology		fax:   808-841-8968
Bernice P. Bishop Museum		kroz at bishop.bishop.hawaii.org