Victimization. (fwd)

Karen Kroslowitz kroz at BISHOP.BISHOP.HAWAII.ORG
Wed Nov 3 16:23:18 EST 1993

Forwarded, as per request from the author.

Karen J. Kroslowitz			phone: 808-848-4118
Natural Sciences, Malacology		fax:   808-841-8968
Bernice P. Bishop Museum		kroz at bishop.bishop.hawaii.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1993 14:02:41 -0700 (MST)
From: AZPIROZ at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU
To: kroz at bishop.bishop.hawaii.org
Subject: Re: Victimization.

Hello again.
Sorry I "reply" rather than send a message (so you get the whole string
of messages), but I'm a new user. You understand. Well, I find it very hard
not to be insulted by your messages (the three that I have read) but here I
am. I really am sorry it would even occur to you that anyone would join a
women's issues network to get a female pen-pal. I have no doubt that some
people might do that, but I just never thought of it myself. It is perhaps
telling that you, a woman, thought of this clever idea while I, a man, did not.
Sort of goes against what you would expect, huh? So much for generalizing
about men.
To the point: The reasoned I joined this network is that I had an idea for a
book about women in science, and when I joined a different network I found out
about this one, so it seemed like a good way to learn about women scientists.

By the way, I'm a postdoc in the Dept. of Plant Sciences at the U. of Arizona
in Tucson. I work on Plant Molecular Biology, whatever that means. My interest
in women in science stems from the fact that my wife is also a scientist and
her experience has not been terribly positive. Her gender is not the reason,
but I suspect that the way she has responded to her experience and the way
she thinks of carreer choices is different from what I would think partly
because she's a woman and I'm a man. So I've been thinking about how men and
women have been raised to have different expectations for themselves and how
we have been raised to view carreer choices differently. I by no means wish
to imply that women have it better, but I think it may be possible that men
grow up with too narrow a view of what their possibilities are. By this I
mean that we learn to expect ourselves to become "providers", and to be
"successful" in a very narrowly defined way. In summary, maybe men and women
both are subject to socially imposed constraints, and thus nobody is truly
"free" to make personal choices. What I wonder, then, is if women are beginning
to overcome these constraints, when will men realize that they can too?
Frankly, I don't see it happening soon, because that would require for men to
relinquish this role of providers and of being destined to succeed.

Anyway, that kind of thing is why I'm here.

To recap: my wife is a scientist, and I want to publish a book about women
scientists.

PS: Please send this to the net, if you wish. I haven't yet figured out how.

Ricardo Azpiroz.