suffering

4700gbera at UMBSKY.CC.UMB.EDU 4700gbera at UMBSKY.CC.UMB.EDU
Thu Nov 4 12:07:51 EST 1993

Someone wrote in regarding the victimization thread:

>	My own advisor can be a real jerk to everyone.  I used to feel
>that he was specifically mean to me.  But after talking to many
>previous students I found that he is always a jerk in private meetings with
>his students, while pretty much ignoring us in public........ I think that
>many advisors purposely put their students through severe
>stress at about the point when they should be choosing between PhD and MS.
>They do this to make sure the student is tough enough to stay the course.
>They may have other reasons........

Onto a different subject: I can't stand this attitude toward science. Is this
some sort of macho thing? I've run into this kind of attitude before in
professors. What's the point? It's like those classes where the prof is
determined to fail 50% of the students - all it means is that they are a
lousy teacher. Is being a scientist so noble we must all suffer for it?
It's difficult enough being in graduate school never mind having an
advisor who is an *hole. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Any comments?

Gina Berardesco
4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Univ. Mass, Boston