Intro

Elaine Ingham inghame at BCC.ORST.EDU
Wed Nov 3 19:15:21 EST 1993

Why don't more women spend time on the net?  I can't answer for all women
scientists, but for myself, it's because I'M TOO BUSY!!!!!

Teaching General Ecology (160 students), four grad students (2 Ph.D, one
of which is doing pre-lims as we communicate; 2 MS), two techs, four work
studies, 1 volunteer undergrad, 1 intern, 20 undergraduate advisees,
committee work for the department, 2 children, 1 husband.  That's just the
people I have to keep up with.  Much less trying to get anything written.

I'm NOT complaining: I have chosen this way of life with my eyes open.
It's an incredible amount of fun, and I'm always in the thick of an
interesting scientific discussion.  If I wanted to reduce the number of
things that I do, then I am perfectly capable of reducing them.  Every
once in a while, the workload becomes oppressive, and then I pare the
workload down.

But you asked why women in general don't spend
time chatting on the net.....I know why I don't, and I expect my situation
isn't all that unusual.  Women tend to end up doing two full time jobs.
How many men would respond that part of his responsibilities were
taking care of the children and a wife?

ERI