PhD vs MS

Vicki Finkenstadt eog at
Wed Nov 10 08:41:24 EST 1993

In an article, inghame at BCC.ORST.EDU (Elaine Ingham) writes:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 1993, Carrie Schneider wrote:
> > While you must have a PhD for an
> > academic career, there are many positions in industry for MS
> > and BS degree holders. In fact, a PhD may be a handicap for some positions.
> > If a position is advertised for candidates with a MS or BS, most likely
> > PhD holders will not even be considered, even if the position requires
> > independent reasearch skills. I think this must be because PhDs command
> > higher salaries, and the company does not want to pay if they can hire a
> > good person with an MS. So, it is worth considering what kind of job you
> > want, than investigate the academic credentials required.
   >>snipped stuff<<

>>SUMMARY: PhD vs. MS in the job market (shortages, positions)

I spent 2 years in the biomedical field as a chemist (BS), then went to
grad school to obtain my PhD in Carbohydrate Chemistry. While I was
working I saw a woman scientist (with a MS) bypassed for promotion because
one of the candidates had a PhD. I had considered both candidates equal
in skill, personal and technical.
While it is true that there are jobs for BS/MS which are not available
for PhD because of the pay scale factor, advancement of your career might
be hindered.

Victoria Finkenstadt                         |eog at
Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research    |vicki at
Purdue University                            |finkenv at